Environmental impact study

As part of our environmental focus, we continuously study ways to reduce our impact on the planet

A 2016 study conducted for Pandora by the environmental cost consultancy, Trucost, sought to quantify and value the hidden positive and negative consequences of different materials used in our manufacturing, by calculating the financial cost of environmental damage (such as health costs associated with pollution) to society from various materials and crafting methods.

We always strive to minimise our environmental impact on the planet. All the gold and 88% of the silver used at our crafting facilities in 2018 originated from recycled sources. The remaining 12% of silver originated from virgin materials supplied by RJC/LBMA-certified refiners. 

All gold grains entering Pandora’s crafting facilities were sourced from reputable refining companies, certified according to the Responsible Jewellery Council (RJC) Code of Practices (COP). Furthermore, all gold must be certified conflict-free according to the London Bullion Market Association (LBMA) “Good Delivery List” or the RJC Chain-of-Custody Standard for gold.

The Trucost study in short

The study revealed that using recycled precious metals and man-made stones significantly reduces the environmental cost compared to mined materials, due to less environmental damage. When it comes to silver and gold, using recycled sources reduces the environmental cost by more than 95%.

Read the full Trucost study

Invironmental impact graph